Filing Form GSTR-4 Annual Return by Composition Taxpayers on GST Portal
1. What is Form GSTR-4 Annual Return: - With effect from 1st April, 2019, all Composition Taxpayers are required to file Form GSTR-4 Annual Return, on annual basis, for each financial year.
2. Who are required to file Form GSTR-4 Annual Return: All registered taxpayers who have opted for composition scheme or were under composition scheme under GST, for any period during a financial year, starting from 01.04.2019, need to file Form GSTR-4 Annual Return, annually.
3. Who can file NIL Form GSTR-4 Annual Return: Nil Form GSTR-4 Annual Return can be filed for the financial year, if you have, for all applicable quarters of the year,:
- NOT made any outward supply
- NOT received any goods/services
- Have NO other liability to report
- Have filed all Form CMP-08 as Nil
4. Due date of Filing: The due date for filing Form GSTR-4 Annual Return is 30th of the month succeeding the financial year or as extended by Government, from time to time. For FY 2019-20, it has to be filed by 31/08/2020.
5. Filing Form GSTR-4 Annual return: Logon to your dashboard, click on Services > Returns > Annual Return >Select FY>Search>GSTR 4> FILE THE RETURN.
6. Some important Points:
- Form GSTR 4 can be filed only if, all applicable quarterly statements in Form CMP 08 of that financial year, have been filed.
- Form GSTR-4 Annual Return, once filed, can’t be revised
- After successfully filing, ARN will be generated and intimated through email and SMS
- Currently only the online filing has been enabled on the portal. Shortly, offline tool to file Form GSTR-4 Annual Return will also be made available.
7. How it is different from Form GSTR-4 Quarterly Return: Please note that this Form GSTR-4 Annual Return is different from the Form GSTR-4 Quarterly Return, which was required to be filed on a quarterly basis.
- Form GSTR-4 Quarterly Return is applicable up to tax period ending on 31st March, 2019, for composition taxpayers.
- For tax periods till the quarter ending March, 2019, Composition Taxpayers are required to file Form GSTR-4 Quarterly Return (which is also available on the GST portal), on quarterly basis. Whereas from 01.04.2019, composition taxpayers are required to file Form GST CMP 08, on quarterly basis.